  • JOHN MARSHALL

    JOHN MARSHALL June 13, 2006, 8:17 p.m. (Message 45540)

    Re: Regarding Dance Technique and Etiquette

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Thomas G. Mungall, III" <xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx>
    To: "SCD news and discussion" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
    Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 3:27 PM
    Subject: Regarding Dance Technique and Etiquette

    > Another irritant is the propensity of the vintage class to want to dance
    the
    > "Postie's Jig" using the Tulloch turn rather than the usual turns by the
    > right and left giving the handshake hold.
    >
    > Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >
    > Yours aye,
    >
    > Tom Mungall

    POSTIES JIG
    Roy Clewes dances were written to flow, and to take a large area of floor,
    i.e. a set that is both wide and long.  This particularly applies to Posties
    Jig.  When the dancing couples turn the standing corners, this should be
    done with a long arm turn so that the dancers sweep round.  All eight people
    should have their arms almost straight, and this is the feature of the
    dance.  If you can not perform this long sweeping turn with a straight arm,
    you are too close to someone else!
    Unfortunately it is rarely possible to perform this dance correctly, because
    of limited space on the ballroom floor, and of the mistaken belief that it
    is easier to dance in a small crowded set.  I have never seen a Tulloch turn
    done in this dance, and can not see how it can be done.
    My suggestion to Tom Mungall is to make the set much bigger.

    JohnM