  • Eike Albert-Unt

    Eike Albert-Unt June 13, 2006, 1:32 p.m. (Message 45533)

    RE: sashes - traditionally and in practice

    Thank you ;-) Just needed an opinion. We discussed it here and came to think
    that since it is Estonian-Scottish tartan, then we actually are entitled to
    wear it on left shoulder as we are members of the clan. :-) If someone of us
    is married to a foreigner and wants to keep the tartan, then she can wear it
    on a right shoulder. :-)

    Cheers!
    It is almost 30 degrees in Tallinn today!
    Eike

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Anselm Lingnau [mailto:xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]
    Sent: 13. juuni 2006. a. 14:25
    To: SCD news and discussion
    Subject: Re: sashes - traditionally and in practice

    Eike Albert-Unt wrote:

    > Does this mean that it is bad manners for non-members (as of yet) to wear
    > sash on the left shoulder?

    In a nutshell: Wear your sash whichever way you fancy, unless there is a
    danger of running into anal-retentive retro-Scots who are sticklers for >the

    rules<. (This danger mostly exists at highland games in the US of A.) If you

    are an anal-retentive retro-Scot etc. yourself, wear it on the right
    shoulder
    unless you are a clan chief or commanding officer of a Highland regiment,
    spouse of such, or RSCDS-style country dancer, in which case wear it on the
    left shoulder. Otherwise you might wrap it round your head in case you
    encounter the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

    There has been lots of discussion in this forum as to exactly why the late
    Dr
    Milligan recommended the left shoulder for a lady's sash but as far as I
    recall we didn't get to the bottom of it. It is best to let common sense
    rule, such as when you're a formal demonstration team all the sashes should
    be in the same position (and in Younger Hall, probably on the left
    shoulder).
    I have yet to attend an event where ladies had to present their RSCDS cards
    prove the appropriateness of their sash shoulder.

    Anselm
    --
    Anselm Lingnau, Frankfurt, Germany .....................
    xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx