  • RODERICK JOHNSTON

    RODERICK JOHNSTON June 12, 2006, 7:48 p.m. (Message 45527)

    Re: Playing for SCD

    I have great admiration for those who play by ear and those who can
    remember vast quantities of tunes.  I attended a weekend course on
    Sabhl Ostaig on Skye given by Sandy Brechin some years ago.     It was
    amazing to see young musicians who had been taught purely by ear
    listen to a tune played through once then play it back perfectly.  A
    very humbling experience.

      Rod

    Etienne Ozorak <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
      There's a big difference also when you have a number of musicians playing
    the lead. It's much easier to go with one's own interpretation when there
    is a solo lead instrument, but when you have more than one, there has to
    be a way to keep everyone playing on the same page. I've gotten used to
    having three lead instruments and I don't see how you could get everyone
    to stay on the lead without music (unless yu play the same music all the
    time).

    Etienne Ozorak
    Meadville PA USA