  • Martin

    Martin June 9, 2006, 7:43 p.m. (Message 45492)

    Re: Regarding Dance Technique and Etiquette

    Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

    > This is where when couples are turning, the hands are offered
    > vertically, palms to palms and the thumbs linked and elbows pointing
    > down.

    The hand position, sounds like what every did on Irish dance (40 years
    ago! don't know what they do now), and I always found it convenient and
    comfortable. I never encountered any awkwardness concerning the thumbs,
    in fact I still can't quite see how thumbs can be linked. It was palm
    to palm, each person looking at the back of the other person's hand, and
    felt firm and comfortable.

    The same grip is commonly used among French traditional dancers, and
    although I
    insist on handshake hold on country dancing, I still like the
    palm-to-palm style in celidh dancing, as it is firm for a
    good fast turn than tha handshake hold.
    If this were not true, why do (some) SCDers turn their orthodox
    handshake into a kind of knot, twisting their wrists in order to get a
    firm grip in 2-bar turns?
    That is something I am not at all keen on.

    Martin