  • Thomas G. Mungall, III

    Thomas G. Mungall, III June 9, 2006, 6:19 p.m. (Message 45489)

    Re: Regarding Dance Technique and Etiquette

    Ian,

    Actually the class does all sorts of dance traditions (American, French,
    English, Irish and Scottish) from the late 18th through the 19th Centuries.
    In addition to regularly scheduled period style balls, the group also
    performs at area antebellum homes, living history events and nursing homes.

    The actual dance in question was a Scottish Country Dance. Indeed, I have
    also witnessed different dance traditions where hands are given at different
    heights. I believe the English tradition of the early 19th Century was to
    use a low hand hold. My main concern was the safety issue.

    I do get your point about the teacher and the traditions of the group, etc.
    which is a very valid point. That was why I was wondering how to discuss the
    safety issue with them.

    I find it interesting that the Tulloch turn variation in Posties is common
    with SCDers in Scotland!

    Cheers aye!
    Tom