Anselm Lingnau

Re: Murder in Canada - Off Topic

June 8, 2006, 1:38 p.m. (Message 45462, in reply to message 45459)

David Yee wrote:

> In  defence of Canada, the number of murders in Canada in 2003 was 548, or
> 1.73 per 100,000 of population.  The numbers for 1998 would be similar.

The original number does seem rather high, but that's not really the point
(even with 548 murders, Canada is not 182 times as dangerous as the Vatican).

The context of Rick Moen's quote comes from the practice of counting the
various security advisories regarding Microsoft Windows on the one hand and
Linux on the other hand. This is essentially comparing apples to oranges; the
details are too non-SCD to go into here, but the comparison remains as
ridiculous as it was even with the lower numbers.

Anselm
Then I realized that I had spelled `-' wrong.      -- John Whitmore learns APL