Bryan McAlister

Re: Divided by a common language (was Reels and Hornpipes)

June 1, 2006, 8:28 p.m. (Message 45450, in reply to message 45445)

Recently I was asked to write a tune for a 32 bar reel dance which the
devisor had called a "Rant", which I did, the week before it was to be
played and danced publicly, the dance was on the programme for "teaching
purposes" and standing in 4th place I set about running my tune through
in my head to check if it fitted.  To my horror it didn't fit at all and
bore absolutely no relationship to the rhythms of the tune being danced.
It took all of 4 times through before it dawned that a 6/8 tune was
being played and not a "Reel".  I afterwards discovered the Caller had
looked at the word "Rant" in the name of the dance, had found a 32 bar
tune with "Rant" in it's title on a CD which just happened to be a jig
and hadn't noticed the dance was supposed to be a reel..

In message <xxx-xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx>, Steve Wyrick
<xxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxx.xxx> writes

--
Bryan McAlister