  • Bryan McAlister

    Bryan McAlister June 1, 2006, 8:28 p.m. (Message 45450)

    Re: Divided by a common language (was Reels and Hornpipes)

    Recently I was asked to write a tune for a 32 bar reel dance which the
    devisor had called a "Rant", which I did, the week before it was to be
    played and danced publicly, the dance was on the programme for "teaching
    purposes" and standing in 4th place I set about running my tune through
    in my head to check if it fitted.  To my horror it didn't fit at all and
    bore absolutely no relationship to the rhythms of the tune being danced.
    It took all of 4 times through before it dawned that a 6/8 tune was
    being played and not a "Reel".  I afterwards discovered the Caller had
    looked at the word "Rant" in the name of the dance, had found a 32 bar
    tune with "Rant" in it's title on a CD which just happened to be a jig
    and hadn't noticed the dance was supposed to be a reel..

    In message <xxx-xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx>, Steve Wyrick
    <xxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxx.xxx> writes

    --
    Bryan McAlister