  • RODERICK JOHNSTON

    RODERICK JOHNSTON May 31, 2006, 1:20 p.m. (Message 45434)

    RE: Reels and Hornpipes

    This issue of time signatures goes across the board and doesn't just
    apply to reels and hornpipes.  The same occurs in maches 2/4 and 4/4.
    For some reason, I think purely due to the whims of the composer, many
    4/4 marches are written as 2/4 which when sight reading for the first
    time can cause an amusing moment.

      3/4 retreat marches are another source of confusion for novice
      musicians. I remember the first time I saw a 3/4 pipe march and
      played it as a waltz until I was suitably chastised.

      Rod Johnston,
    Fort Willaim

    Patricia Ruggiero <xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
      Thanks to John and Steve for, um, kinda sorta clarifying this matter of the
    time signature. At least now I know I haven't been misunderstanding some
    important and perhaps obvious fact about what 4/4 time means.

    Pat