Steve Wyrick

Re: Reels and Hornpipes

May 31, 2006, 3:29 a.m. (Message 45431, in reply to message 45425)

John, a minor correction: I'm pretty sure you meant _8_ 8th-notes and 2
beats per bar (which works out to cut time).

Incidentally, this business of confusing common (4/4) and cut time
signatures isn't a new issue.  Looking at facimiles of Robert Petrie's and
William Marshall's tunebooks from around the turn of the 18th/19th century,
reels in both collections are notated in either cut or common time, with no
apparent reason for the choice of one or the other!  -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California