  • Steve Wyrick

    Steve Wyrick May 31, 2006, 3:29 a.m. (Message 45431)

    Re: Reels and Hornpipes

    John, a minor correction: I'm pretty sure you meant _8_ 8th-notes and 2
    beats per bar (which works out to cut time).

    Incidentally, this business of confusing common (4/4) and cut time
    signatures isn't a new issue.  Looking at facimiles of Robert Petrie's and
    William Marshall's tunebooks from around the turn of the 18th/19th century,
    reels in both collections are notated in either cut or common time, with no
    apparent reason for the choice of one or the other!  -Steve

    --
    Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California