Alan Paterson

Re: Reels and Hornpipes

May 26, 2006, 2:14 p.m. (Message 45389, in reply to message 45388)

On 26/05/2006 14:05, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
> Alan Paterson wrote:
>

>>Is there a scientific method of identifying a Hornpipe?
>

> No. There is a widespread misconception that hornpipe phrases always end with
> a pom-pom-pom but it turns out that there are lots of hornpipes that don't as
> well als non-hornpipes that do.
>
>>From an RSCDS-style dancer's point of view the difference between reels and
> hornpipes is about as important as the number of angels that can dance on the
> point of a pin, as the steps and tempo are 100% identical.

Which is why DanceData doesn't have dance-type Hornpipe (despite
complaints in that department).

> For an RSCDS-style
> musician, the matter becomes somewhat more important, as when making up sets
> of tunes you usually want to combine hornpipes with other hornpipes, but one
> can usually go by the titles or by gut feeling (I know I do).

Test for gut feeling: If anyone has the album Best Foot Forward by Sound
Company (just on cassette I fear) tell me if you think the first track
feels like a hornpipe.

> Then again, there's the dance, Kendall's Hornpipe, which is a jig.

Pretty much a conversation stopper that one <grin>

Alan