Alan Paterson

Re: Reels and Hornpipes

May 26, 2006, 2:05 p.m. (Message 45387, in reply to message 45386)

On 26/05/2006 13:39, xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
> To me the "hormpipedness" is not in the notes per bar, but in the
> syncopation of these notes allowing for two strong beats on counts 1 &
> 3, with the other notes weaker as they are not on 2 & 4. Note that all
> hornpipes are not in duple time. If you check Playford, Purcel, Blow,
> Handel, and others you will find many in triple time. The common
> denominator is the "limp".

Thanks Richard.

I am struggling here to determine the difference with a Reel in that
case. Can it be that the reel has the emphasis ONE two three four while
the hornpipe is more ONE two THREE four? Or is it that what come between
one and three isn't exactly on two and four but slightly behind?

Can someone perhaps describe the differences in terms of musical notation?

Alan