  • Eric Clyde

    Eric Clyde May 18, 2006, 4:50 p.m. (Message 45318)

    Re: Copying Cassettes onto CD

    Alan:
    I have been using Total Recorder, Standard Edition, from
    www.highcriteria.com, for a number of years now.  It costs $17.95 (U.S.)
    and this includes future updates to the program.  I have transferred
    some LPs and quite a few tapes to CD, although I now have the separate
    tracks on my laptop for use in class.

    The program is easy to use.  You will need a cable to hook up the
    earphone jack of your cassette player to the input jack on the sound
    card of your computer.  Start the computer program and the cassette
    player and make sure that the volume level is not too high or you may
    get distortion.  When you have copied a side (of the tape or LP) it is
    easy to save each dance selection separately, either as .wav files
    (recommended if you are going to transfer to CD) or .mp3 files (which
    are not as high quality, but take up much less space on your hard
    disk).  Note that you will have to give each selection a name -- if you
    want them in the same order as on the tape, then "1", "2", "3" etc.
    would be fine.

    To transfer the tracks to CD, I use Windows Media Player (free),
    although there are lots of other programs available.  Insert a CD-R into
    your CD writer, choose the program you want to do the copying, point to
    the directory with the selections in it, highlight the selections, and copy.

    It sounds complicated, but it's actually quite straightforward.

    Eric