  • e.ferguson

    e.ferguson May 12, 2006, 12:24 p.m. (Message 45258)

    Two Chords

    Belated (?) return to this topic.

    On 21 Mar 2006 at 13:38, L. Friedman~Shedlov wrote:

    > <............>  I would argue that two chords ALREADY causes confusion, and
    > that hardly anyone is really "used" to it.  In the 16 years I have been
    > dancing in the UK, the US, and Canada, I've never been at a social dance
    > where a large percentage of the room didn't end up scrambling. Even if you
    > remember to do it, a chord just isn't enough time to cross to the other
    > side of the set, so it ends up being rushed and chaotic every time.

    1.  Lara is right.  The second chord causes "scrambling".  Both in recorded
    and live music, the time after chord 2 (determined by the speed of the
    music) is too short to get into position neatly before starting.  The
    sensible thing would be to change sides on the FIRST chord, and bow /
    curtsey on the second, but that change of tradition would worsen the
    confusion.

    2.  If we dancers are capable of forming any triangular, 4C Square, 5C
    square, 6C square, and any size longwise set without being told, why do we
    need a chord to start on the other side?

    If we need a reminder, the MC could call the dance with "Take your partners
    for XXX.  Third (second) and fourth couples start on opposite side."  Even
    if only 30% of the dancers have heard this, the 4C sets would usually
    arrange themselves without even needing any counting.

    Let's drop that second chord.

    Happy dancing,

    Eric
    --
    Eric T. Ferguson,
    van Reenenweg 3, 3702 SB  ZEIST  Netherlands