  • Phill Jones

    Phill Jones May 12, 2006, 10:52 a.m. (Message 45257)

    RE: Attracting Young Folks/Music Tempo

    Couldn't agree more.  You missed one thing though... The 'superior'
    dancers are also more than capable of detering experienced dancers
    too!!!

    -----Original Message-----
    From: strathspey-bounces-phill=xxxxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    [mailto:strathspey-bounces-phill=xxxxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx] On
    Behalf Of Andrew Smith
    Sent: 12 May 2006 08:54
    To: SCD news and discussion; Strathspey articles
    Subject: Re: Attracting Young Folks/Music Tempo

    If we were "brutally honest" we would lose more than one enthusiastic
    member, and would be much the poorer for it. I have met some 'superior'
    dancers in my time that were only technically perfect, and it would have
    been a more enjoyable occasion for everyone if they were not in the set
    clearly showing their impatience with the less able, even on occasion
    actually ignoring them.
    In my book a 'superior' dancer is one who having mastered the technique
    will not make the less able feel unwanted, but will make them feel
    positively welcome, and will make the less able feel that the 'superior'
    dancer has enjoyed dancing with them as much as if they were dancing
    with another 'superior' dancer.
    There may be "nothing worse than one head bobbing out of sync" from a
    critical spectator point of view, but remember that dancing is for the
    dancers, it is not a spectator sport.
    Even in the most sophisticated demonstration I would suggest that the
    most important aspect is that the audience feels first and foremost that
    the dancers are enjoying themselves and enjoying the music and the
    dance. There is then a very good chance that they will be distracted
    from bobbing heads and untidy feet by 'the spirit of the dance.'
    Technique does make a difference, obviously, but it is not the only
    measure.
    Enjoyment, sociability and respect for others are of the greatest
    importance, IMHO.
    Andrew,
    Bristol, UK