  • Pia Walker

    Pia Walker May 12, 2006, 9:46 a.m. (Message 45253)

    RE: Attracting Young Folks/Music Tempo

    Could it also be perhaps, that we try and teach too much all at once -
    rhythm, steps, formations, dances?   And that as we grow up to become
    adults, it becomes 'embarassing' to repeat things?    Children seem to be so
    much more patient with regards to going over old ground, but if you did the
    same dance 5 weeks running in a class of adults, they would be grumbling,
    yet repetition is the only way of gaining confidence in some cases, and
    confidence is the one thing that is needed for people to progress in SCD and
    probably in many other disciplines as well.

    How many teachers out there, actually go up to someone and say 'Well done' -
    'Well saved' - or 'I like your posture/the way you got there/the way you
    hold your head/your smile/your help' etc etc.  In true teacher fashion, we
    only criticize and pick up the faults.  Surely we should do both.

    Pia