  • Pia Walker

    Pia Walker May 10, 2006, 10:15 p.m. (Message 45225)

    RE: Attracting Young Folks/Music Tempo

    Try and take a look at their faces in stead - I go for the smiles - it's not
    the ones with their heads bobbing out of synch that worries me, but the ones
    without the smiles.

    And you can only pick up a beat by learning how to listen - how many classes
    teach their dancers how to listen in stead of how to dance?

    Pia

    -----Original Message-----
    From: strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    [mailto:strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]On Behalf Of Don
    & Margaret Sarna
    Sent: 10 May 2006 20:09
    To: Strathspey articles; Strathspey items
    Subject: Attracting Young Folks/Music Tempo

    To me, one sign of a 'superior' dancer is someone who can adapt to the
    tempo.  As someone who's watched more dancing (and demo's) than I care to
    remember, there's nothing worse than one head bobbing out of sync with the
    others.  This happens even in 8 hands around and back: 7 heads in sync, one
    not.  It is a glaring, obvious error that the audience sees over all other
    'mistakes.'

    To be brutally honest, if a person can't pick up the beat from Scottish
    Country Dance music--and slow down or speed up to match--they should sell
    their ghillies.  (;)

    Margaret Sarna
    Michigan