Martin

Re: Ask and Ye shall receive - Perhaps!

May 10, 2006, 9:27 a.m. (Message 45214, in reply to message 45212)

Iain Boyd wrote:
> ..."We can't dance to that - the music is putting us off."

Well, obviously, if you play a waltz or a slow march, you may well get
such a comment.
Or if you use a recording dating from the 40s & 50s, when dancers
apparently had more energy than they do today.
But I fail to see how a jig, a reel, or a strathspey, with accepted
tempo and standard length, can put dancers off performing a jig, a reel,
or a strathspey, whatever the tune.
>    ... tunes (although good) that are not suitable for the dance.
Could you give us an example, please?
>  Malcom wrote that he sometimes used "what might be an inferior
> recording, just because someone bothered to make a recording for a particular dance. "

That seems an unfortunate choice.

What is dancing anyway?

It's just something to do while listen to nice music.

Although I too devise dances and think am critical/appreciative of
poorly-compiled/pleasing sequences, it is the music that is the most
important, imho.
There are so many good recordings, why use anything else?

Martin,
Grenoble, France.