  • Gerry Gray

    Gerry Gray May 7, 2006, 6:49 p.m. (Message 45188)

    RE: Marine Four-Step

    Here is the description from Michael Gwynne’s 1953 edition of Old Time and
    Sequence Dancing. I also have a description from Victor Silvester’s 1950
    book Sequence Dancing, but it is much longer.

    James Finnegan, who also wrote what is now known as the Military Two-Step,
    named his Marine Four Step after the Marine Gardens Ballroom in Portobello
    Edinburgh, where he was the MC. It was also a tribute to the Royal Marines
    and therefore martial music is the most appropriate to use when dancing it.

    Marine Four-Step

    James Finnigan

    Time 2/4 Tempo 56 - 16 Bar Sequence

    Commencing position similar to the Veleta.

    Count

    Man

    Bars

    1, 2, 3

    Barn Dance Forward LF RF LF

    2

    4

    RF forward to 4th pos point with temps levé on LF

    1, 2, 3

    Barn Dance Against LOD back RF LF RF

    4

    4

    LF forward to 4th pos point with temps levé on RF

    1 and 2

    Pas de Basque outward LF RF LF

    5

    3 and 4

    Pas de Basque inwards RF LF RF (similar to Boston Two-Step)

    6

    1 and 2

    Waltz outwards, LF RF LF

    7

    3 and 4

    Waltz outwards, RF LF RF (similar to Latchford Scottische but finished
    facing diag to wall down line of dance taking double hold

    8

    1

    LF to side along LOD (line of dance)

    2

    Cross RF over LF (forward along LOD)

    9

    3

    LF to side along LOD

    4

    Point RF forward down LOD

    10

    1

    RF back against LOD

    2

    LF back against LOD

    11

    3

    RF back against LOD

    4

    Close LF to RF without weight, assume waltz hold

    12

    Waltz right turns commencing rotary turn. Finish on last bar opening to
    commencing position in similar manner to Veleta

    13-16

    The Barn Dance can be danced with a Gavotte step closing to 3rd pos and
    omitting the Temps levé.

    Lady’s steps are normal opposite