  • Stella Fogg

    Stella Fogg May 6, 2006, 5:04 p.m. (Message 45178)

    The Gary Strathspey

    This message should be in the Strathspey archives as I believe it was a
    response to Etienne ozorak.......

    Dear Gary,

    I'm curious to know more about this dance.  I understand that your father
    composed the Jigtime Polka.  How did it come about being used as the
    original for the Garry Strathspey?

    Because the Garry Strathspey was invented for me.  This dance was devised at
    the time of my birth, by a man called Cosh, (only problem was, that he spelt
    my name wrong!)
    Thanks for enquiring
    BTW.  As you will probably been aware of, the Jigtime polka was written for
    a TV show, of the same name on which my father and his band played.  But,
    the tune my father originally wrote for the programme was called "The Bute
    Polka", and for some reason, he decided to change it.  I don't know if I
    told you or not, but I managed to get three episodes of "Jigtime" onto
    video.  One was from 1957, one from 1958 and one from 1962.  There were only
    the three episodes left in STV's archives, so I count myself lucky!
    Salut
    Gary Blair (ecosse)

    Stella Fogg
    Richmond, VA