Alexandre Rafalovitch

Re: contact details

April 25, 2006, 6:48 p.m. (Message 45114, in reply to message 45113)

On 4/25/06, suepetyt <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx> wrote:
> It would be impossible for one person to maintain a central website (witness
> Ian's problems keeping up to date) and John Sturrock's is the one the RSCDS
> link to - they will never manage it.

Oh, I did not say that one person maintains the website. What I meant
is that one person/company checks all the websites. There are tools on
the market that will scan all your pages and check them for dead links
(a good free one is at http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html).
Then the dead links (and often they wil be shared my many websites)
could be chased to see if they just moved site structure, moved to a
new website or completely gone. The final result would be sent to the
individual site maintainers and they can update the links wholehog,
rather than one by one as people discover them.

> I always think it is better not to have a website, than to have an out of
date website.

I don't fully agree on that one. Perfection should be a goal, not a
pre-requisite. It is worth knowing that Dubai group existed at some
point and be able to chase from there, than not to know about it at
all.

Regards,
   Alex.