Patricia Ruggiero

RE: Instruction and music for the "Irish Washerwoman."

April 20, 2006, 4:13 a.m. (Message 45085, in reply to message 45081)

Tom wrote:

> I got the instructions for the Irish Washerwoman last night
> and it appears that the dance is basically the same as the
> one you posted only with slightly different nomenclature.

The source for the version I gave is "Asa willcxs book of Figures" [Ms.
collection of dance figures] 1793. Newberry Library.

I know nothing further about this Asa Wilcox; but, if this is his book of
familiar dances, it's not surprising that the figures are slightly
different.  He and his friends probably liked doing the rigadoon; whereas
the folks who created your version obviously preferred simply to set forward
and back.

Your version has "down the center and balance." There are many Early
American dances that have "down the center and rigadoon."  A ubiquitous
combination, so much so that many dancers nowadays substitute that for the
plain vanilla "down the center and back."  And vice versa, if they don't
like doing the rigadoon.  Small groups of folks who danced only to please
themselves got to make up whatever versions they liked of a dance!

Pat