S. Keith Graham

Re: Over 700 schoolchildren dance in Glasgow

April 7, 2006, 10:31 p.m. (Message 44988, in reply to message 44982)

On 4/4/06, Thomas G. Mungall, III <xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx> wrote:
> One of the best Scottish Country Dancers I know was a former competitive
> Highland Dancer in her youth. In fact, I've known several so it does happen,
> admittedly it is rare.

Another comment from one of our converted Highland dancers last night:

"Many highland dancers in the US don't know anything about SCD.  When
they go to a games to compete, they go directly to the competition,
warm up, compete, change costumes, compete again, collect medals, and
go home.  I had no idea what else happened at the games."

Unless there's some overlap between the highland dance community and
the country dance community in a particuliar locale, it is possible
they have no idea SCD even exists.   (In Atlanta, there's no overlap
between the two.  In parts of North Carolina, there's  considerable
overlap.)

So perhaps there is a recruiting opportunity here for Highland Dancers
(both younger and older) and perhaps for their parents as well.  An
article in a Highland Dance magazine?  A demo on the Highland Platform
during a break to get their attention?

Keith Graham
Atlanta, GA, USA
xxx@xxxx.xxx