Dick&Maureen Daniel

Re: Over 700 schoolchildren dance in Glasgow

April 3, 2006, 1:04 p.m. (Message 44961, in reply to message 44938)

So you reckon that more  rules [like the goalie standing in First position]
might solve Scottish Football's problems?  I know little about football, but
I somehow doubt that is the answer.    As I understand it, Scottish football
has achieved OUTSTANDING international achievements in the past, despite all
the odds against them succeeding.

Conversely, perhaps you are agreeing with me that dispensing with the
absolute letter of the rules, unless you want to play real COMPETITIVE
football, would increase the fun element, to the overall benefit of the
game.

Maybe someone should form a committee and organise an international survey
to find out why Scottish Football has such a bad image with youngsters, then
introduce a PR exercise to sort it all out.  That's what the politicians
would advise.  Should only take a few years and a few millions, to arrive at
an indecisive conclusion and an ineffectual campaign.

Or maybe it's just that Scotland is a small country with a small population
from which to draw talent, and insufficient funding to encourage youngsters
to develop their kicking technique, rather than just instructing them that
pointing their toes is the supreme immutable priority for all levels of the
game.

Dick Daniel

From:  Bryan McAlister <xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx>
To:  xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx