  • Anselm Lingnau

    Anselm Lingnau April 3, 2006, 12:39 p.m. (Message 44960)

    Re: Over 700 schoolchildren dance in Glasgow

    Bryan McAlister schrieb:

    > Actually this is a great analogy.  One of the reasons that Scottish
    > Football is "not very good" these days is that kids nowadays dont kick
    > cans around on the street.

    Right. And you can't really expect a fresh kid to come into their first
    (RSCDS-style) dance class and join the branch demonstration team the next
    week any more than you can expect some kid who hasn't kicked *anything* in
    their lives to score three goals in the World Cup finals.

    In order to become a first-rate professional football player you have to
    *start* with kicking cans around the street and then actively *want* more and
    do something about it. In dancing, young people come to ceilidhs and get told
    by many that »this is the *real*, *fun* Scottish dancing, and RSCDS is just
    for arthritic killjoys who make you point your toes«, so I think it's likely
    that even if some of them (only some) hear a private little voice in their
    heads asking »is this really all there is?«, peer pressure ensures that
    they'd rather be seen dead than donning the soft ghillies.

    Anselm
    And whatever you do, never, ever, play Trivial Pursuit against a reference
    librarian.                                                        -- Jim Frost