Anselm Lingnau

Re: Over 700 schoolchildren dance in Glasgow

April 3, 2006, 12:39 p.m. (Message 44960, in reply to message 44958)

Bryan McAlister schrieb:

> Actually this is a great analogy.  One of the reasons that Scottish
> Football is "not very good" these days is that kids nowadays dont kick
> cans around on the street.

Right. And you can't really expect a fresh kid to come into their first
(RSCDS-style) dance class and join the branch demonstration team the next
week any more than you can expect some kid who hasn't kicked *anything* in
their lives to score three goals in the World Cup finals.

In order to become a first-rate professional football player you have to
*start* with kicking cans around the street and then actively *want* more and
do something about it. In dancing, young people come to ceilidhs and get told
by many that »this is the *real*, *fun* Scottish dancing, and RSCDS is just
for arthritic killjoys who make you point your toes«, so I think it's likely
that even if some of them (only some) hear a private little voice in their
heads asking »is this really all there is?«, peer pressure ensures that
they'd rather be seen dead than donning the soft ghillies.

Anselm
And whatever you do, never, ever, play Trivial Pursuit against a reference
librarian.                                                        -- Jim Frost