  • e.ferguson

    e.ferguson April 2, 2006, 12:05 p.m. (Message 44948)

    Re: MacNab Dances in diagrams

    I am astonished that this can be an issue.

    This has been discussed before.  "Pilling" can (perhaps) claim copyright on
    the diagrams they have produced themselves, but surely not on the symbols !
    In Germany, dance cribs are normally Pilling style diagrams, using the
    Pilling symbols and a few others.  Has Pilling ever raised objections?
    Publishing Angus' new MacNab diagrams would be no different.  And BTW, has
    Pilling received permission from the copyright holders of all the dances in
    their Wee Green Book?

    Does anyone understand what material interest can "Pilling" have in trying
    to copyright their symbols?  The more they are used, the more people will
    want to buy the WGB.

    What do the lawyers say?

    This "problem" only strengthens the case for putting the diagrams on the
    Web.

    --
    Eric T. Ferguson,
    van Reenenweg 3, 3702 SB  ZEIST  Netherlands