  • Anselm Lingnau

    Anselm Lingnau April 1, 2006, 2:06 a.m. (Message 44941)

    Re: FW: Over 700 schoolchildren dance in Glasgow

    Dick Daniel wrote:

    > So why is RSCDS crumbling towards oblivion and unable to attract young
    > people?  There is no doubt in my mind.  Modern children [and young adults],
    > of many nationalities, find dancing to good Scottish music, totally
    > irresistable.  These same modern children [and young adults] generally
    > refuse to submit to the severe regimentational standards imposed by RSCDS.
    > Standards, which were excellent for the era in which they were introduced
    > as ground breaking procedures and policies, are now seen as irrelevant,
    > “kill – joy” and “stuffy”, by current generations.  As the youngsters would
    > put it --- “RSCDS needs to LOOSEN UP”.

    Consider the following: Everybody can have fun kicking a rusty can around the
    street, and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with having fun that way even
    if »proper« footballs are round and made from leather. However, playing
    organised football does take some practice and dedication, but since people
    are actually trying hard to be accepted by the better teams when they could
    just as well keep kicking rusty cans around the street, doing it »properly«
    must obviously be more fun than can-kicking. And incidentally, football DOES
    have rules, and some rather more complicated ones than SCD at that. Even so,
    nobody suggests »loosening up« the rules of football to make the game more
    accessible to the can-kicking public.

    Dancing (any kind, not just SCD) is just the same. It is absolutely true that
    one can have lots of fun in SCD as a new dancer, especially if one's teacher
    does not confuse the dance floor with a military parade ground. But the sort
    of fun that one derives from, say, doing a sequence of the more intricate
    figures of The Celtic Brooch with five good dancing friends is something that
    only comes with a certain amount of practice and dedication, and no amount
    of »loosening up« will change that.

    The point is that the fun is already there to be had at all levels of dancing.
    It is up to the more experienced dancers to make new dancers feel welcome
    enough so they can grow up to be experienced dancers themselves. The Glasgow
    school kids affair only goes to prove that SCD can be fun even if the correct
    pointing of feet is not the first priority, and the fact that Glasgow Branch
    teachers did the teaching only goes to show that the RSCDS *is*
    actually »loosening up« already. Apparently the RSCDS were down there in the
    thick of it rather than outside wrinkling their noses at the outrage, and
    that is what counts.

    Sure, not every single one of those 700 school children will go on to become a
    life-long member of the RSCDS. But the main problem in Scotland seems to be
    that people tend to *view* the Society as a stuffy assemblage of old fogeys
    who are intent on taking all the fun out of dancing with their strict rules
    and standards, obvious evidence to the contrary like the Glasgow schools
    event notwithstanding. Over here in Germany, where the general public is not
    thus conditioned, we have no trouble whatsoever attracting *and* keeping
    young adults in our SCD groups, especially those groups that do attempt to
    teach RSCDS-style technique and standards. (There are a few children's groups
    and from what I hear most of those are also going strong.)

    What the RSCDS needs in Scotland is not »loosening up«. It just needs a PR
    campaign to educate people. From that point of view the Glasgow event is a
    Good Thing.

    Anselm
    Things are only impossible until they're not. -- Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard (ST:TNG)