  • suepetyt

    suepetyt March 31, 2006, 10:46 p.m. (Message 44939)

    RE: Over 700 schoolchildren dance in Glasgow

    Well said.....

    There are many of us who feel the same.  I take a class of adult beginners
    which was started from a weight watchers class and were told to 'get more
    exercise' the Health visitor was proactive and asked me to take the class.

    They have great fun, and such an enormous sense of achievement when they
    complete a dance successfully.  Through the class, some people who had
    previously been isolated have made new friends, last week 12 of them went to
    their first 'proper dance' where a neighbouring group (an RSCDS Branch with
    an understanding teacher) had gone to the trouble of including some easy
    dances they could do (consulting with me on what we had covered in class).
    Now they want to organise their own dance - their enthusiasm is boundless.

    It is making a big difference to these people's lives.  They will never have
    good footwork, but they are learning the figures, and the timing - their
    Allemande is already better than many I see on the dance floor, because they
    are now telling me they want to do it correctly.

    I also support the view that excelling at dancing is not wrong.  We admire
    our sporting heroes.  People from all over the world support Manchester
    United because they are the best, they don't support the lower division
    teams.  So I do not see why it is wrong to want to dance well.  I do however
    think there is a time and place for both and that all levels are to be
    encouraged.  Enthusiasm and fun are the key.

    Happy Dancing
    Sue Petyt
    www.suepetyt.me.uk
    Skype Sue Petyt