  • Keith R Bark

    Keith R Bark March 30, 2006, 5:25 a.m. (Message 44904)

    RE: The RSCDS Constitution

    Most of the changes in the constitution appear to be clean-up and trying to
    make the committees more efficient (by reducing size and ensuring some
    continuity of management).

    The one topic that we do need to consider though is that of Society
    Examiners and membership of the Education and Training Committee.  The
    proposed change is that the Management Board will appoint two examiners to
    the E&T Committee but not allow examiners to stand for elected positions on
    the committee.  I agree that we need examiners on the committee but
    appointments are always risky as the current Management Board will appoint
    examiners who are in agreement with their opinions.  As the board changes,
    so the appointees change.  It is somewhat like appointments to a Senate or
    to a House of Lords rather than an elected body.  I think it would be better
    to have the wording such that if the elected members of the committee does
    not include at least two examiners, then the Management Board should appoint
    examiners to make the number of examiners on the committee up to two.

    What are other people's thoughts?

    Keith R Bark
    Mississauga, Canada