Steve Wyrick

Re: Two chords

March 24, 2006, 5:01 p.m. (Message 44869, in reply to message 44767)

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:22:41 +0000
  Jan E Rudge <xxxxxx@xxx.xxx> wrote:

> << ... the simplest solution is to put the first chord on its own track,
> with no break between that track and the rest of the dance ... >>
>
> Are you sure this would work?  I thought the musicians
> have said that they leave a longer gap than usual
> after the second chord before beginning the tune,
> to allow the dancers to settle into place.
>Following the solution suggested above, if the dancers
> are already in place so you want to go straight to the
> single-chord version, then there would be an over-long
> gap before the music begins.

Absolutely.  You just place the track mark basically at the end of the gap so
that the 1-chord version sounds normal.  I own several CDs (non-SCD) where
something similar was done.  It's a technique commonly used in live concert
recordings, for example.  But I agree with Anselm that this has a good chance
of confusing many people unused to the available technologies and the
single-chord version--or Goss's suggestion of a 4-bar intro instead?--is
probably the way to go to please as many people as possible.  The point about
making the CD as listenable as possible also seems to be a good argument for
using the single-chord version.

Audrey, good luck with your recording project!  I hope you'll update us on how
it goes! -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California