  • Anselm Lingnau

    Anselm Lingnau March 24, 2006, 12:41 p.m. (Message 44866)

    Re: Two chords

    Bryan McAlister wrote:

    > Your first concern is that the CD tracks are musically of a high
    > standard and each track stands on its own one that basis.

    This is precisely the point. If the music sucks but has two chords you can bet
    that people will be looking for better music even if it has just one chord.
    (Not that I want to imply that your CD tracks would in fact suck. I'm sure
    they're going to be great.)

    I wouldn't bother about putting extra chords in their own tracks, either,
    which is to be sure technically feasible but probably not worth the trouble.
    This is just going to confuse people. If I were you I would record the dances
    in question with one chord and let it go at that. Put a note in the liner
    saying that people should arrange themselves so as to be able to start right
    off after the first chord. The advantages of this are:

      - Chances are that the CD will mostly be used in class, anyway. In class,
        you walk through dances before you dance them, so people will be in the
        correct position to start the actual dance already.

      - It will be easier to re-use the music for other dances if they do not
        need to be of the couples-cross-over-on-the-second-chord variety. This
        may not be the first thing you have in mind when you are recording
        music for a specific book, but there are much fewer recorded tracks
        around than there are dances, and if the music is great it may inspire
        other people to come up with their own dances, especially if it is
        sort-of generic (rather than Mairi's Wedding). This even makes commercial
        sense since people might then buy your CD even if they are not *that*
        interested in the actual dances from your book, or they might get the
        CD because the music is so nice and also order the book just for
        completeness (I know I would). Then they might also try your dances
        which they otherwise might not have, and might even like them :^)
        Voilà, instant fame.

      - At live events, people who insist on having two chords can ask their
        musician/band to play two. Sticklers for two chords with recorded
        music can still get out ye olde WAV editor and duplicate the chord
        for themselves.

      - Not recording the second chord will make you popular with Simon Scott
        and his followers who want to nudge the world towards not having second
        chords. This will be another example to point to when convincing even
        more people that a second chord is in fact not needed, an abomination,
        ... etc. etc. On the other hand, at least from what has been said on
        Strathspey, the rest of the world does not really seem passionate enough
        about the issue to forego buying a nice CD just because there's a chord
        missing here and there that nobody *really* needs, anyway, and that even
        tends to get in the way every so often.

    Anselm
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson
    afterwards.                                                      -- Vernon Law