  • Anselm Lingnau

    Anselm Lingnau March 22, 2006, 4:53 p.m. (Message 44835)

    Re: Two Chords

    Martin Sheffield wrote:

    > Was there not a move to get rid of the two chords a short while ago?
    > Which of the defenders of the chords managed to prevail, I wonder, so that,
    > once again, we got "no change" ?
    >
    > As mentioned, the Manual is the only thing that is allowed to change, it
    > seems.

    Don't forget that the RSCDS is, at the end of the day, a standards body.
    Standards bodies are conservative by nature. Conservatism in a standards body
    is commonly considered a Good Thing, as one does not want do chase after
    every new-fangled idea that might come up. Things should settle down for a
    bit before they show up on a standards body's radar screen.

    Anyway, the SCD scene no longer works like it did in the early 1930s. The
    Society no longer has any real power to control how SCD is actually being
    done all over the world; there is too much dancing going on in places that
    the Society doesn't really reach. It may try to gradually influence things
    (especially through the teacher training process) but imposing drastic
    changes (such as the poussette-on-the-right-foot-for-men idea) isn't
    possible; anything of the sort would merely create lots of confusion and
    argument, and (if the changes are too severe or too ridiculous) would
    probably be ignored by large parts of the community. Such an event would
    basically mean the end of the Society as an important player in SCD (and
    would likely be detrimental for SCD in the long run), and therefore this is
    about as likely to happen as an assembly of turkeys voting in favour of the
    practice of holding Thanksgiving dinners.

    Having said that, especially in an area like the two-chords debate, which
    touches only on a minute part of the RSCDS repertoire, it is unproductive to
    look to the RSCDS to mandate something which is contrary to current practice
    (and playing two chords for the type of dance in question *is* current
    practice, no doubt about that), in particular if current practice isn't
    really an RSCDS idea to begin with. (Tinkering with the strathspey poussette,
    for example, is fine for the RSCDS since they invented it in the first place;
    note the ongoing controversy on exactly when hands should be dropped on set &
    link to see just how big the RSCDS influence is concerning issues that do not
    matter one way or another to a large majority of dancers -- however strongly
    people like the originator of the concept may feel.)

    For the just-one-chord proponents, it seems a more promising approach to
    educate the people out in the field directly -- dance dev^H^H^Hauthors, event
    organisers/MCs, and musicians. Apparently John Drewry, one of the main
    originators of »two-chord dances« has already seen the light, so if we give
    the idea another decade or two things may have settled the way Simon et al.
    would like, and then the RSCDS will be happy to follow suit in their
    publications. If not, then it's not as if the world would come to a sudden
    end, either.

    Anselm
    Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk
    for people who can't read.                                      -- Frank Zappa