Anselm Lingnau

Re: Two Chords

March 22, 2006, 1:20 a.m. (Message 44829, in reply to message 44825)

Peter McClure wrote:

> I haven't been keeping a count, but I have a feeling that most of the
> musicians who have posted on this topic have been against the second
> chord.  I think that ought to count for quite a lot.

As a musician, I don't mind the extra chord one way or the other. Like Steve,
I do not play the same chord both times, so the »let's record the first chord
as an extra track on the CD« doesn't cut it. I also try to space the chords
in a fashion that will let the people in question cross to the other side of
the set with apropriate dignity. Furthermore, I try to be aware of which
dances require two chords, and my sets of music state this with suitable
conspicuousness. Having said that, my method is to go with the flow. As a
musician I provide a service; whoever pays me is entitled to pick whether
they want the chord or not. So far, most people do (but then again, often the
issue doesn't arise to begin with).

Anselm
The best solution I think would be for Gates and Ballmer to simply buy a small
country and declare Microsoft's sovereignty. Belize would be nice. [...]
Microsoft could easily buy Belize ($2 billion is $400 per acre and would
probably be enough), pay off the $380 million national debt, then throw up
luxury condos for 20,000 programmers.                    -- Robert X. Cringely