  • Pia Walker

    Pia Walker March 15, 2006, 10:19 a.m. (Message 44718)

    RE: Teaching and guns

    I wouldn't scold him - he is obviously not 'multi-skilled' i.e. he can only
    concentrate on one thing at a time.

    Ladies I am NOT going to go there !!!!! :>)

    I would find a really, really easy dance that he knows to distraction, and
    ask the class to concentrate on one single thing in their footwork - like
    third position, and just see if that would help.

    Apart from that, enjoy that you obviously have taught him so well that he
    likes what he is doing.

    Pia

    -----Original Message-----
    From: strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    [mailto:strathspey-bounces-pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]On Behalf Of
    mj.sheffield
    Sent: 15 March 2006 08:43
    To: SCD news and discussion
    Subject: Re: Teaching and guns

    Has anyone come across this kind of dancer?

    An Englishman and his wife have been dancing with us here for some years
    now. When they first turned up, I never thought they would continue, they
    just did not appear to be dancers.  But they have stayed, and little by
    little, have learned the steps.

    When we do skipchange or strathspey round the room for little practise or
    warm-up, this gentleman's steps are quite satisfactory (not quite Nureyev,
    but just as good as I see on visits to GB), but in a dance, while he is
    generally at the right place at the right time, there is no way I can get
    him to do anything like a Scottish step !

    Should I be scolding him?
    Or be glad that he comes along regularly with enthusiasm and a friendly
    smile?

    Martin,
    in Grenoble, France.