  • simon scott

    simon scott March 14, 2006, 7:23 p.m. (Message 44708)

    RE: Teaching and guns

    xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xx.xx wrote:

    > My feeling
    > is get them in by lowering the bar as far as possible, certainly below
    > any sense of having to master footwork first.  Once they are in, they
    > will begin to look around and rather enjoy the superior footwork of
    > those around them.  Then they will look down at their own hippo feet
    > and feel slightly embarrassed and want to improve themselves.

    I totally agree with getting new dancers moving, enthused, and actively
    dancing without a "huge" or "laborious" technique session, initial.

    HOWEVER, I do believe that some aspect of the elegant style of this
    dancing, much of which comes from its precise footwork, should always be
    a part of each class.

    One if the reasons I believe this is that bad habits are very easily
    formed. I know that it is more difficult to break bad habits than it is
    to form good ones to begin with.

    Simon
    Vancouver