Anselm Lingnau

Re: Teaching and guns (was: Where are the RSCDS???)

March 14, 2006, 1:41 a.m. (Message 44695, in reply to message 44692)

Ron Mackey wrote:

> 	What do you tell someone of 50+,say, who wants to dance?
> "Don't bother - you'll never master sufficient technique? You'll only
> slow us down?  You'll make us look shoddy?"

Everyone should aspire to dance to the best of their abilities. For some (the
there at the right time, socially«. Age may be a factor in this but often
isn't. As long as you're giving your best, and are enjoying yourself, nobody
can really complain.

On the whole, most people seem to have certain ideas of how much they are
willing to exert themselves (both mentally and physically); if they can have
enough fun while staying within the confines of these limits, then they enjoy
doing SCD. Push them to exceed them on a regular basis, and they will leave
in order to look for something less strenuous to do. This interplays with the
observation that, in many cases, better technique results in higher
satisfaction (because more things »just work«, less time is necessary for
explanations, more difficult dances can be attempted, etc.).

The trick, apparently, is getting people to find out that while they *think*
they're having lots of fun when they're just stampeding around the set like a
herd of hippos, that once they've got the hang of current SCD technique they
will be having even *more* fun. I don't have a foolproof method for doing
this.

Anselm
Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time
for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their
own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it's all over.
                                                             -- Octavia Butler