  • Wendy Grubb

    Wendy Grubb March 13, 2006, 9:48 p.m. (Message 44690)

    Re: Beginners in with experienced dancers (formerly Teaching and guns)

    In our class in New Orleans we often have new dancers
    or we have dancers that do not come regularly.  Since
    our class is more social in nature and many dancers
    are not as interested in technique we adjust to having
    beginners fairly easily.  I do find it frustrating
    sometimes when I have to totally throw my lesson out
    if I have too many beginners and not my usual group of
    more experienced dancers.  I have found our group
    welcoming and frequently (although I review the steps)
    I tell the newcomers just to get where they need to be
    skipping or even walking and the rest will come later.
     Our goal is to have fun while learning and get some
    exercise.  Since Katrina, when we restarted our class
    in January we have been averaging 2 sets of dancers
    each week - last week we had 18 which was great.  My
    only wish is for regular attendance so we can move
    forward more easily.  Some of my group only likes to
    dance "old favorites" and some like to try new things.
     I try to have some of each.
    Wendy

    http://mail.yahoo.com