Volleyballjerry

language influence across the Atlantic

March 12, 2006, 10:23 p.m. (Message 44658)

In a message dated 03/11/2006 12:32:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
xx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx writes:

> In Great Britain, there are a lot of people that use the English language,
> and there are more and more that copy what others do across the water.

And vice-versa!  To "vet" someone (check out background) was first noticed by
me in some British commentary long before it was ever a common term in the
U.S.  In fact I had no idea what it meant when I first saw it.  Now it is fairly
common here as well.

Ditto the term "run-up" (generally as "run-up to the...) meaning the period
of time approaching.

(And again I have to change my "send to" address, Martin's message having
also arrived, as commented upon earlier today, completely without the "reply-to"
line and its Strathspey address.)

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA