  • Volleyballjerry

    Volleyballjerry March 12, 2006, 10:23 p.m. (Message 44658)

    language influence across the Atlantic

    In a message dated 03/11/2006 12:32:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
    xx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx writes:

    > In Great Britain, there are a lot of people that use the English language,
    > and there are more and more that copy what others do across the water.

    And vice-versa!  To "vet" someone (check out background) was first noticed by
    me in some British commentary long before it was ever a common term in the
    U.S.  In fact I had no idea what it meant when I first saw it.  Now it is fairly
    common here as well.

    Ditto the term "run-up" (generally as "run-up to the...) meaning the period
    of time approaching.

    (And again I have to change my "send to" address, Martin's message having
    also arrived, as commented upon earlier today, completely without the "reply-to"
    line and its Strathspey address.)

    Robb Quint
    Thousand Oaks, CA, USA