Steve Wyrick

Re: Reply to:" setting on Strathspey

March 12, 2006, 8:03 p.m. (Message 44654, in reply to message 44650)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:

> In a message dated 03/12/2006 6:05:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> xx@xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx writes:
>
>> Making reply-to-sender the default would bias the list toward a  more
>> person-to-person  default, and would decrease its interactive nature.
>> It would increase the "Please send  replies  to  me,  too"  messages,
>> which could easily be more numerous than the accidental messages.
>
> I'm with John on this.  I wouldn't want to see it changed.  The vast majority
> of my comments upon a Strathspey commentary are destined for the list.  If I
> occasionally want to respond only to the sender personally, then I make a
> point of doing that.

Me too.  If the original message was sent to the list, not to an individual,
the assumption should be that any reply will also go to the list.  I
subscribe to a number of lists, and I can only remember one where the
default was reply to sender only, and that was so confusing that eventually
the administrator changed the default to reply to list.  However it should
be standard practice for any e-mail user to double-check who the message is
being sent to before hitting the send button!  -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California