Volleyballjerry

Re: singular vs. plural verb

March 12, 2006, 8:01 p.m. (Message 44653)

In a message dated 03/11/2006 7:44:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx writes:

> The RSCDS .. "IS"  It is a single organization
> RSCDS dancers, members etc .. "ARE"  As a collective group.
>
> USA as the name of a country .. "IS"  It is a single country.
> USA as a collective group of States .. "ARE"

I don't think anyone questions that when a singular collective noun becomes
an adjective and is followed by a true plural, then the verb is plural:

"RSCDS dancers are friendly folks."

A structural plural which denotes an organization is followed by a singular,
we seem to agree:

"The United States is a member of the U.N." / "The states of the U.S. are not
equal in size."
"The United Arab Emirates is (sing.) located on the Arabian Peninsula." /
"The members of the U.A.E. include (pl.) Dubai."

The point of difference, which form of the verb to use with a structurally
plural subject which denotes a collective, as has been otherwise confirmed,
seems to be an A.E./ B.E. difference.

Under virtually any circumstance, "The group are/were..., the team
are/were..., the RSCDS are/were..." is jarring to American ears, but seems to be
colloquially acceptable (and otherwise correct?) to British ears.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA