  • Carl Spain

    Carl Spain March 12, 2006, 5:52 a.m. (Message 44641)

    Re: OT - singular or plural

    On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 01:00 +0100, xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:

    > Part of this problem is political propaganda, in that by the common
    > political science definition of a state, the U.S. is one, and its
    > states, as those of Brazil, and Mexico, are really provinces no matter
    > what they call themselves. This is because they all fail step three of
    > a three step test.

    This could be further complicated by the four states (Massachusetts,
    Virginia, Pennsylvania and Kentucky) that are officially designated
    commonwealths rather than states.  There are historical reasons for the
    designation, but the only real difference today is that it creates
    opportunities to be pedantic (a favorite pastime of many of us on this
    list) by saying (e.g.) "Oh, Virginia isn't a state.  It's a
    commonwealth."

    Carl Spain
    Waco Texas (The state in this union whose residents are most likely to
    take issue with Richard's statement that it is not sovereign; I've
    generally found it best just to smile and nod.) USA