  • Andrew C Aitchison

    Andrew C Aitchison March 11, 2006, 6:38 p.m. (Message 44634)

    Singular or Plural: Where are the RSCDS???

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:

    > would say (and write):  "Where IS the RSCDS, where WAS the RSCDS?"  Is this
    > colloquial usage in British English (singular collective noun + plural verb)
    > quite common or merely optional?  Would it also be considered correct in a more
    > formal setting?

    I *think* I was taught that treating an organisation as plural is
    required; think of it as:
    	a big disappointment that RSCDS [dancers] were noticibly absent
    versus
    	a big disappointment that [the] RSCDS was noticibly absent

    Andrew