Volleyballjerry

Re: Where are the RSCDS???

March 11, 2006, 6:15 p.m. (Message 44632, in reply to message 44626)

In a message dated 03/11/2006 6:04:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

> An enjoyable evening but a big disappointment that RSCDS were noticibly
> absent

Sorry not to be replying to the content of the message, but there's an
interesting item to me as a linguist always fascinated by the differences in usage
between British and American English, which I've found to be substantial.

Not only in the subject heading but also in the body of the message (quoted
above) I find RSCDS [...Society] used with a plural verb.  In no way do I
suggest any incorrect usage on Rae's part.  I believe that previously as well I've
encountered colloquial British usage with a singular (but collective) noun and
a plural verb.  This is (and again I emphasize only the difference in usage,
not the correctness of one vs. the other) very jarring to American ears.  We
would say (and write):  "Where IS the RSCDS, where WAS the RSCDS?"  Is this
colloquial usage in British English (singular collective noun + plural verb)
quite common or merely optional?  Would it also be considered correct in a more
formal setting?

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA