  • Alexandre Rafalovitch

    Alexandre Rafalovitch March 9, 2006, 3:30 p.m. (Message 44609)

    Re: Emcee

    On 3/9/06, Pia <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
    > I too find acronyms annoying, and have and will stress in committees that I
    > find acronyms in minutes, reports and general speech during meetings
    > unacceptable as it delays and distracts the thought process.

    The research has shown that the acronyms do cause the breaks in the
    thought process if they are unknown or conflicting with other meanings
    (like the QC discussed). However, once you know what the acronym means
    for the context, it has its own semantic load and actually helps out
    by triggering concept parsing faster. And the same applies to longer
    phrases such as Mayday, which is recognised without having to know the
    French original.

    In the IT (sorry, information technology) world, the abstructions are
    so high and piled on each other, that spelling everything out may
    really get in a way of conversation. Whether it is the same for other
    fields I don't know, but I suspect it might.

    Regards,
       Alex.