  • Steve Wyrick

    Steve Wyrick March 8, 2006, 6:46 p.m. (Message 44580)

    Re:GNU/Linux (was: emcee) -- NO SCD content...

    On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:35:28 -0500
      "Alexandre Rafalovitch" <xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx> wrote:

    > P.s. TLA (three-letter-acronym) was at one point a self referential
    > joke, the same way Linux operating system could be interpreted as
    > Linux Is Not UniX.....

    You COULD interpret it that way but I don't believe that was the intent.  I
    understand Linux was named that because it was LINus Torvald's interpretation
    of the UniX kernel. On the other hand, Richard Stallman's original system GNU,
    which Linux works with, IS self-referential, and I suspect what you were
    thinking of:  GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix! -Steve
    --
    Steve Wyrick - Concord, California