  • Jim Healy

    Jim Healy March 8, 2006, 10:41 a.m. (Message 44557)

    Acronyms and abbreviations (was emcee)

    Greetings!

    Andrea writes:
    >1) The English language, on both sides of the Atlantic has an obsession
    >about shortening words and creating acronyms of compound words. The same
    >does not apply to, for example, romance languages. Certainly not to
    >Italian,

    Andrea, I must disagree. Try reading the Corriere della Sera without knowing
    the meaning of CIGL, CISL and UIL (the main Unions) An, FI, PDS, FI (the
    political parties) and so on, to say nothing of 'democristiani' or l'Ulivo.
    I will agree that other languages can be worse with business letters in
    Dutch leading the way with their t.g.v (in favour of) and t.a.v.(for the
    attention of) and dozens more abbreviations that make them unintelligible
    even to someone who speaks the language.

    Jim Healy
    Perth and 98000 MC