  • redrose_solutions

    redrose_solutions March 7, 2006, 9:44 p.m. (Message 44537)

    RE: Difference Between Briefing a dance and Recapping a Dance

    I agree with Malcom that a succint re-cap is fine (I'm not arguing in favour
    of no recaps at all - at the moment).

    A more detailed briefing would be OK if a dance is new, perhaps written for
    a special occasion, and is being taught to everyone in the room for the first
    time (this happened with Napier's Index at the Sydney Branch 50th Anniversary
    Ball a few years ago). Or perhaps for a very "local" dance when the organising
    Branch or group is aware of a large number of out-of-towners wanting to join
    in.

    I would certainly want to know the programme and ideally have instructions
    or source references for any unusual or local dances in advance. I would
    also be prepared to put some effort into learning some, though not necessarily
    all, of the dances unknown to me, and also to sit out anything I didn't know
    or didn't feel confident about.

    However, I fail to see why one would need both a briefing and a recap of
    the same dance, one more or less immediately after the other, all the way
    through an evening's programme. Perhaps this is a reflection of an underlying
    cultural /educational difference between the UK/Europe and North America?

    Susi

    Susi Mayr
    Vienna, Austria
    xxxx@xxxxxxx.xx.xx

    Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!