redrose_solutions

RE: Difference Between Briefing a dance and Recapping a Dance

March 7, 2006, 9:44 p.m. (Message 44537, in reply to message 44502)

I agree with Malcom that a succint re-cap is fine (I'm not arguing in favour
of no recaps at all - at the moment).

A more detailed briefing would be OK if a dance is new, perhaps written for
a special occasion, and is being taught to everyone in the room for the first
time (this happened with Napier's Index at the Sydney Branch 50th Anniversary
Ball a few years ago). Or perhaps for a very "local" dance when the organising
Branch or group is aware of a large number of out-of-towners wanting to join
in.

I would certainly want to know the programme and ideally have instructions
or source references for any unusual or local dances in advance. I would
also be prepared to put some effort into learning some, though not necessarily
all, of the dances unknown to me, and also to sit out anything I didn't know
or didn't feel confident about.

However, I fail to see why one would need both a briefing and a recap of
the same dance, one more or less immediately after the other, all the way
through an evening's programme. Perhaps this is a reflection of an underlying
cultural /educational difference between the UK/Europe and North America?

Susi

Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xx.xx