  • simon scott

    simon scott March 7, 2006, 9:39 p.m. (Message 44536)

    RE: The Master of Ceremonies abbreviated

    I understood that Fiona was questioning the use of "emcee" rather than
    "MC"
    Simon

    -----Original Message-----
    From: strathspey-bounces-simon.scott=xxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    [mailto:strathspey-bounces-simon.scott=xxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx] On
    Behalf Of xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 11:03 AM
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Subject: Re: The Master of Ceremonies abbreviated

    I´ll go with pedant on this one. It is neither a uniquely American or
    British tradition to turn abbreviations, into acronyms, into what sound
    like words. If HM can refer to the Queen, or an MP refer to the queen,
    and MD for medical doctor, RSM, etc., there is no reason why a lowly
    Master of Ceremonies can not be an MC. In the U.S. we have similar
    conventions, and in most cases, it saves a lot of time, as in CEO, HR,
    POTUS, C-n-C, OD, etc.