Ian Brockbank

RE: Taking to the floor

March 6, 2006, 5:50 p.m. (Message 44514, in reply to message 44457)

Ivan (from somewhere unspecified...) wrote in response to George:

> I once attended a dance and this was happening and the MC "bit the
> Bullet" and announced that if the dancers didn't clear the floor
> between dances and wait for the band to introduce the dance, he would
> stop the dance proceeding until they did. In fact three or four dances
> later they resumed the same practice and when they appeared to be made
> up in complete sets he requested the floor to be vacated and all
> dancers to sit down before he would resume the evening program.
>
> It didn't happen again that night. Needless to say they lost two dances
> off the program.

I'm sorry, but I think this is ruder than the dancers not clearing the
floor.
One thing which I _really_ dislike is MCs treating the dancers like a
group of naughty school children.  I left school a while ago, and I'm
out for fun.  It is this sort of thing which gives SCD a bad name and
puts people off attending.  I would certainly think twice about attending
a dance with that MC in future - even dances organised by that group.

Now, I agree that the people who just stay on the floor in formed-up sets
are also rude, and I have no objection to the MC making some sort of
comment, as long as it is courteous and treats the dancers like adults.
The best way is to find some sort of humorous put-down, or make some
joke about "please give the band a chance - they don't get any rest
during the dance" or change the following dance (in agreement with
the band) or make the next dance a "visitors' choice" or something.
If those dancers still persist, tough.  The ballroom is NOT the place
to teach etiquette.  That's for the class room.  Okay, I accept these
dancers are probably no longer attending classes; if it really bothers
you have a _private_ word with them.  But please don't treat me like a
child, and please don't waste my dancing time on etiquette lessons.

Other etiquette "lessons" are NEVER appropriate in the ballroom.  At a
social event, it doesn't matter whether lines are perfect.  It's not
a performance, and it's not a competition.  Please just relax a bit and
let the enjoyment continue.

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland