L. Friedman-Shedlov

Re: Modern technology in preparation for the prelim?

Feb. 6, 2006, 3:49 p.m. (Message 44163, in reply to message 44156)

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Sophie Rickebusch wrote:
> When I was preparing my prelim 2 years ago, I found that teaching the
> figures was the best way to get them into my head, so I would say get as
> much practice as you can.

This comment makes me wonder if the RSCDS considered making the written
test unit 1 instead of unit 3 of the first part of the exam.  In other
words, it would make more sense to take a written test after you'd had a
chance to really absorb the material, and  it's hard to do so purely on
the basis of reading.  It's all kind of meaningless until you put it into
practice.

Some people don't really get to to do much teaching until they start
their actual candidate course.  If you are located in an area with no
local candidate course, you might not get much opportunity to teach
before you head off to summer school or wherever you are taking the
course, and by then you are supposed to already have completed unit one of
the exam.

Clearly, teacher candidates should still have studied the manual
before they embark on the dancing and teaching units of part one, but
maybe it would make more sense to  be tested on it later.  Just a
thought . . .

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov

Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"