  • L. Friedman-Shedlov

    L. Friedman-Shedlov Feb. 3, 2006, 3:41 p.m. (Message 44107)

    Re: Celtic Reels

    I wasn't aware that this is a standard name for a formation, but I assume
    it refers to the reels in Barry Skelton's Dance "Celtic Reel."  It's a
    reel of 4 where the axis rotates 1/4 every two bars (not to be confused
    with the reels in Belhaven, which also rotate, but in a different way).

    I don't believe I've encountered this formation in any other dance so far.
    It is kind of the signature figure of the dance Celtic Reel (it takes 16
    bars, so it is half the dance), so putting it in another dance would be
    kind of pointless, unless maybe it were a longer dance or medley.  It
    would be kind of like taking the rights and lefts figure in Trip to
    Bavaria (I call that one "four couple rights and lefts) and putting that
    into another dance. To a large degree, the formation *is* the dance.

    Lara Friedman-Shedlov
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

    Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
    xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"